Summary Information


What is not generally recognised is that the landlord cannot cease a tenancy, they can (politely) ask the tenant to leave, by way of a notice, and if that fails the landlord can apply to court to have that converted into a court order.

The procedure for this is:-

– Issue the appropriate notice (request to leave);

– If ignored apply to court to have converted to court order:-

– Immediate or suspended

– If still ignored apply to court for a bailiff’s order.

Generally will have to apply separately to recover any arrears – suggest use Money Claim Online   –

Note that the court can issue a suspended or immediate possession order.  If the tenant still fails to vacate a Bailiffs’ Order has to be sought.

However a tenant leaves it is vital to prove they have left voluntarily else there is a danger they can claim they were illegally evicted.  We suggest you use the iHowz Deed of Surrender.

There are two types of notices to be used for an AST:-

– A Section 21, where no reason is required;

– A Section 8 where a reason (a Ground) is required – generally lack of rent, but there are several other grounds as well.

See the NOTICES section.   Alternatively use the iHowz discounted Eviction Service.



Electrical Testing

See also a useful fact sheet on this. Introduction: Ensuring the safety and compliance of an electrical system is...

Known laws affecting rentals.

  List of laws known to affect landlords Landlord and Tenant Act 1730 Distress for Rent Act 1737 Anti-terrorism,...

Twitter feed is not available at the moment.


Submit a Comment