Can you claim eco-improvement cash?

Have you checked to see if you can get a grant towards improving your rental property?  Note however, the Government has still not published what you need to do to meet an improved energy standard.

  •   The ‘Great British Insulation Scheme’ was introduced by the government last month and offers grants to fund insulation for homes in council tax bands A to D. More details of the Great British Insulation Scheme on the Government website.
  • The government has also just announced an increase to the amount that homeowners can claim through its Boiler Upgrade Scheme which enables people to apply for a grant of up to £7,500 to cover part of the cost of replacing an oil, gas or electric heating system with a more efficient air source or ground source heat pump. The scheme also offers £5,000 off a biomass boiler.
  • Another source of support is Warmer Homes, which can provide a range of fully-funded energy efficiency improvements for your home through the government’s Home Upgrade Grant. The grants are for properties that do not use mains gas for heating, and for those on low household income or for those in receipt of means tested benefits.
  • Energy Company Obligation scheme offers grants to low-income households and those in vulnerable situations. The scheme can help you insulate your home, or possibly even help with replacing an old, inefficient boiler or other heating system. If your household income is less than £31,000 a year, or you live in a cold home and have: a cardiovascular, respiratory, or mental health condition; a disability; are aged 65 or older; or live in a household with children from new-born to school age, you can contact the Citizens Advice Energy Team on 0800 145 6879.

Additionally, we urge you to check with your local authority.  For example in Chichester only, there is the Chichester Warm Homes Initiative which provides financial assistance for residents on a low income living in a property with poor energy efficiency and for landlords with an eligible tenant. It could contribute towards the installation of an efficient heating system, as well as loft and wall insulation. The maximum assistance is £10,000 for homeowners living in on-gas areas, and up to £25,000 for those in off-gas areas. More details on Chichester Warm Homes initiative page.



Twitter feed is not available at the moment.


Submit a Comment