We've been warning you for some time

Published on Fri, 6th Apr 2018 20:43

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) came into force April 1st.

For more details see here, and here but in essence is that if you have a property with an energy rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’ it will not be possible to issue a new AST; note that this also covers any AST going from a Fixed Term to Statutory Periodic, often called a ‘Rolling Tenancy’.

It is possible to get exemptions, Landlords will be able to claim an exemption if:-

  • All cost-effective energy efficiency improvements, either within a seven year payback or under the Green Deal’s “Golden Rule”, have been carried out.

  • Consent to undertake works is refused by a third party, such as a Local Authority or an incumbent tenant.

  • A suitably qualified expert provides written advice that the improvements would result in a devaluation of the property by 5% or more, or that the works would damage the property.

Exemptions last for five years and will need to be lodged on a centralised register to be created by Government, see here for the mechanism for claiming an exemption.